J&C Studios O Gauge Archive

O Gauge / O Scale Forums and Individual Blogs for Model Railroading

What is the J&C Studios O Gauge Archive?     Need help? support@jcstudiosinc.com

Need Help?
Try watching some of our videos:

(Guest)   J&C Studios O Gauge Archive         

O Gauge Monthly Photo Polls:

August 2017 Winner!

"O&W FTs"
by member Richard E

Vote Now!    Photo Poll: Dec. 2017

Submit Now!     Photo Poll: Jan. 2018

Past Polls   Winner's Gallery

Most-Recent O Gauge Topics:

Topics: 66   Replies: 107
posted on Dec 10, 2017:

In the mid-1950's, B&O up-graded its Washington DC-Pittsburgh PA service with RDC units. The RDC trains were marketed as "Seedliners." Budd built two RDC-2 baggage coach units with small kitchens and dinette seating for 24. Their numbers were 1960 and 1961. This model was built from a Mac Shops extruded aluminum kit and has a detailed interior.

B&O Speedliner
Topics: 40   Replies: 46
posted on Dec 3, 2017:

This is a project that I started a long time ago and it got packed up before it was finished when we moved.

The project got started when I bought a set of Shay trucks off ebay that were for standard O-gauge track instead of narrow gauge track.
The three cylinder steam engine assembly is a kit from PSC and soldering it all together so that the crankshaft still rotated and everything else still moved was the hardest part of building this locomotive.

I ran across this while unpacking some of my train things a few weeks ago and decided to finish it.
The chassis is made out of pieces of brass stock.
The shaped roof of the cab is from a bottle of perfume that was shaped like a steam engine with some plastic pieces attached to it.
The rest of the cab is made from flat styrene pieces.
The boiler is made from pieces of PVC plumbing with the steam and sand domes, smoke stack and headlight from an old AHM Cassy Jones locomotive kit.
The oil tender is made from part of a Lionel tender and other parts from plastic truck models.

The rear truck had the gearing for powering it but I had to make up a mount for attaching an electric motor to it.
Here I am fitting the cab to the chassis.

Brass detail items are used to finish out the boiler.

By clamping a pencil in a small vice, I can mark where the holes need to be drilled in the boiler for the hand rail stanchions and they are all at the same height regardless of the boiler diameter.

Then I put the locomotive in a special jig for drilling the holes in the sides of the boiler.

All that is left to do is paint it and assemble everything.

Shay locomotive
Richard E
Topics: 68   Replies: 29
posted on Nov 30, 2017:

A the storm has cleared over Lincoln Park

A Photoshoped sky can add realism and drama.
Clearing storm.
Topics: 66   Replies: 107
posted on Nov 4, 2017:

A Plasticville depot got a new life when modified to become this small, suburban stop on the Baltimore & New York. The bottoms of the four sides were cut away and added to their tops. Strip styrene was used to make the rafters. Plastic brick siding was added and one window on the street side was shortened for a 'restroom.' A few extra details like a Majestic coal chute door on this side and a cellar door in the walk on the right side hint at a coal burning furnace for heat. Some paint and weathering finished the job.
Suburban Station
Topics: 66   Replies: 107
posted on Oct 12, 2017:

I have seen several examples among the photos shared here. All show fine concepts and great modeling.
Here is a current project I have on the bench. Not many modelers chew into imported brass models to turn them into something else, but it has been done before.

The case here is a 1960's imported brass model by Gem, of an 1880's Illinois Central Forney loco used in Chicago area commuter work until electrification in 1925. It is being transformed into an 1890's era Forney for Staten Island Rapid Transit service, also electrified in 1925.

Here is the subject as received. It wears a thick coat of brass colored paint, had several loose parts and unable to run. The perfect candidate for shop time!

Making This From That
Topics: 66   Replies: 107
posted on Jul 29, 2017:

OK, so its not a train. But there is a line in the movie about driving that rig as if it was a train!
The New Moon trailer was scratch built in styrene. No '53 Merc Sun Valley was available so I had to use a '54. It carries the correct California tag number, as does the trailer. The rig has just crossed the Baltimore & New York main line on State Highway 5, rolling along to another adventure.

"Think of it as a train - 40' of train!"
Richard E
Topics: 68   Replies: 29
posted on Jul 7, 2017:

An Ontario & Western coal drag passes St Paul depot while passengers are waiting for the next train to the city
The FTs are custom painted Lionel units.

Let's see your photos

O Gauge General Categories:

Electronics & Wiring (56)
   Post war 3 rail relay blook
Scratch Built Rolling Stock (7)
   B&O and Other Equipment
Great Train Stations of O Gauge (35)
   From 4 MTH Banks to One Station PHOTOS RESTORED
Great Bridges of O Gauge (68)
   New metal bridge
Electronics & Wiring (56)
   wiring for 3 light block signal,prototypical
Great Bridges of O Gauge (68)
   TW Trainworx Bridge B54 with lights opinions
Electronics & Wiring (56)
   Wireless remote control of MTH Operating Reefer
Electronics & Wiring (56)
   mth ps2
Stations and Depots (11)
   My Stations
Layout Remodels (6)
   new layout

O Gauge Member Blogs:

Balto&NY  (64) PW3railDavid  (1)
jdcrawler  (30) Richard E  (62)
Jack Hess  (6) John Sethian  (1)
MONON_JIM  (4) jhainer01  (10)
snmerr  (7) Zeke  (12)
Dale H  (29) PeterA  (5)
Roy James  (1) ERDesilets  (1)

A-to-Z General Categories... A-to-Z Member Blogs...

© Copyright 2007-2017 J&C Studios, Inc. All rights reserved.
View our Privacy Policy   Use of this website constitutes acceptance of the Terms and Conditions
The J&C Studios O Gauge Archive is built using POJO Jenerator   Site Map